Pages

April 22, 2013

Tales of Grace and Emma - The Riddle Game!

(Sophia speaking here. While I'm away writing at Camp NaNoWriMo, these "Tales of Grace and Emma" are scheduled to post here for your enjoyment.)

Hello again. I just dug up this story about our adventures in the mansion, and apparently Nicholas was authorized to tell these riddles that she wrote. I especially like this one:
On the wings of the wind it soars, the fear of all rodents outdoors.
With piercing eye and sharpest claw, this bird is master of them all.
I wonder if I could write a riddle like that?
Forget it. You couldn't write a riddle even if the frost giant's icy hammer of inspiration smacked you square in the face!
Fine, then. I'd like to see you try!
Sure. Just watch me create my masterpiece. Uh...*thinks for a few minutes* Here it is!
It's the warm and fuzzy thing that people like to put on there feet in the mornings.
*bursts out laughing* You call that a riddle? It doesn't even rhyme, and forget meter or hidden meanings! You didn't even get the spelling and grammar right! Here, let me try:
It snows, it blows, it chills people's toes
Sky high it goes, up, up, it blows.
Ha! You call that a masterful riddle? I'll admit, it rhymes, it has meter, and I think you got the technicalities right, but it's ridiculously obvious and doesn't make much sense!
Emma, yours is obvious, too...
Fine! Here's another!
They come in new colors and old
Protecting people's feet from the cold
They're oh so very fuzzy
As much as anything ever was-y
Not to wear them, you'd have to be bold.
*snorts* Slippers again? While you were reciting your oh-so-profound "masterpiece of writing," I got another riddle! It's really amazing! Just get a load of THIS:
Voiceless it cries,
Wingless flutters,
Toothless bites,
Mouthless mutters.
I'll admit, that's okay. All right, pretty good. But it seems familiar somehow...oh, I remember now! You stole it from The Hobbit! You cheater, you!
Uh-oh. You probably don't want to see what's coming...

- Grace S

No comments:

Post a Comment